- For the Original Kino, please see Kino (Male)
Kino (キノ?) is the main character of Kino's Journey. They are a composed, stoic, and precocious teenager who travels with their motorrad, Hermes in search of a country with specific desired characteristics.
Kino is a fifteen or sixteen-year-old traveler. Although they appear apathetic at first, they are a caring and understanding person. They travel through different countries to experience their customs and understand their histories, but they never stay longer than three days. They are afraid of settling down, because it would cause them to no longer be a traveler.
Kino is an excellent marksman with amazing speed, agility, and accuracy. They initially traveled with a revolver persuader "Canon" which takes six .44 caliber bullets that they used solely for the execution or maiming of other humans or hunting. They were later gifted with a semi-auto persuader, "Woodsman" which replaced their revolver's purpose of hunting. They use "Woodsman" if they are hunting down other humans without an intent to harm or kill. Kino is rarely known to use a sniper persuader "Flute," but when they do, it is used for hunting and long-distance combat. They make use of many knives hidden in various locations in their clothing for cooking, distraction, and close-combat. They also carry a ballistic knife that doubles as a triple-barrelled gun complete with a laser sight as a final deception tactic when they are cornered. They use all of their weapons with extreme proficiency, if not flawlessly.
While adept at being a survivalist, they have a knack to disappear with impeccable timing to prevent physical and/or emotional harm. They often monologue many times to Hermes that they are no "God" and will only take in their environment and the many countries that they visits as they are. Although they is persuaded many times to sway events into the favour of many people during their travels, they are never tempted to follow up proving their unwavering discipline to their principle; "The world is not beautiful; and that, in a way, lends it a sort of beauty."
Their honesty is brutal, and their self-loyalty trumps all of their actions. However, they are known to assist others out of their own inconvenience simply because "they want to."
Kino has a sweet tooth; it is used as comic relief against a bleak backdrop of survival and hardships of traveling. Another source of comic relief is their preference for tidiness; they are vexed whenever they cannot maintain a well maintained physical figure/appearance.
- An inconsistency is revealed in the anime as their revolver, the 1851 Colt Navy, is a .44 caliber. Although the physical design of the pistol is an 1851 Colt Navy, due to its flathead lower receiver and octagonal barrel, it housed a .36 caliber design. The .44 caliber was utilized for the 1861 Colt Navy which had a smoother barrel finish and an expanded lower receiver design.
- In Sigsawa's "Gakuen Kino" Kino is a highschool magical girl who defeats the evils which appear in their world, known as Mysterious Bishoujo Gun Fighter Rider Kino.
- A chibi version of Kino was portrayed in the introductory bonus anime clip of the 15th anniversary of the Dengeki Movie Festival (2007).
- Kino appears in the DanMachi ~Memoria Freese~ mobile game as part of a collaboration between the two series.
|Characters||Kino • Hermes • Shizu • Riku • Ti • Shishou • Aibou • Photo • Sou • All Characters|
|Light Novel||Kino's Journey: the Beautiful World|
|Anime||Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (2003 Anime) • Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- the Animated Series (2017 Anime)|
|Visual Novels||Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World- (Visual Novel)|
|Manga||Iruka Shiomiya • Gou|
|Galleries||Kino Gallery • Hermes Gallery • Shizu Gallery • Riku Gallery • Ti Gallery • Shishou Gallery • Aibou Gallery|